The World’s Best Husband

Men, do you want to know how to earn your wife’s “World’s Best Husband Award”? Okay, okay, some of you are saying, “It’s automatically me because I’m my wife’s only husband.” You’re right…at least I hope so! But I mean do you want to be that husband about whom all the other wives in the homeschool support group go, “Ooooohhhh, I wish my husband would think of something like that for me!”? Well, here’s the secret: take all the kids with you for a day and give your wife some time alone, in her own house, uninterrupted for several hours of relaxation and refreshment. It may cost you some sanity and some time, but you can create wonderful memories with your children while your wife relishes a bubble bath without some little fist knocking at the door the entire time, or she enjoys reading a book without having to set it down every three minutes to get someone else a juice cup or wipe someone’s nose, or whatever else your loving wife may dream of doing in her own space during a day of uninterrupted freedom.

I’m speaking from recent personal experience, mind you. My loving husband has been on the road almost non-stop for the past four months, doing sixteen conventions and book shows to provide for our family. But he realizes that I have not been home in my own sanctuary alone (for longer than ninety minutes, that is) since early February. He knows that I am nearing the breaking point emotionally and mentally, struggling to provide for my children with a cheerful and willing attitude. So what did he do this week? He packed up six kids, five bikes, sleeping bags, some clothes and bug repellent, and s’mores fixings in order to take the gang camping overnight so I could have a complete day to myself. Those are the makings of a “World’s Best Husband” nominee. Thank you, Hon. I think you’re the Best Husband winner of 2010 (and 2009, and 2008, and….all the way back to 1990)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Music Lessons?

My Best Time of Day

Never Stop Learning!